Do you want to help Oak Heritage grow? Our land trust is helping connect people to nature, protect natural areas, and restore habitat. We would love for you to help! Take a look at our volunteering options, and sign up to get involved today.
Get to know a preserve – and help us care for the land. Our preserve stewards regularly walk a preserve and monitor the property. You might: clear light debris from the trails, note wildlife, pick up trash, and let Oak Heritage staff know of hazardous conditions. You might have the opportunity to work on invasive species control or trail building. Most importantly, you will have the chance to get to know the preserve, and help ensure its protection.
Share the Trails Hike Leader
Love walking in nature? Enjoy giving good customer-service and sharing nature with others? Be a part of our Share the Trails team, guiding casual hikes through preserves. You will participate in training and receive support as part of this program for preserve enthusiasts.
AllTrails Mapping Volunteer
AllTrails is a fantastic app for finding hikes, wherever you are. We want to list hikes on our preserves – but we need a volunteer to upload them onto the AllTrails system. You just need a smartphone, the AllTrails app, and a desire to hike!
You can help others fall in love with nature and Oak Heritage Conservancy. We’re invited to “table” at community events 5-6 times per year, but we don’t always have staff available. We will develop the hands-on activities and the booth display: you just set up, staff the booth, and engage kids with the activity. It’s a fun chance to connect with other nature lovers in southeast Indiana and share your love for Oak Heritage.
Help get the word out about Oak Heritage events. We want to invite more people into nature – and we need your help. When we have an event coming up, we’ll ask you to do two things: first, print 10-15 fliers and distribute them to shops and libraries in your community; second, “like” our social media posts about the event, and share them. This is an easy way to show your support!
We enjoy taking on “projects” – like hosting a county-wide scavenger hunt, or working with a school creating pollinator habitat. If you like sinking your teeth into a task, join our Projects Team. You will be part of our team of dedicated volunteers who stand ready to help. We’ll email you occasionally with new projects, and you can opt in if the project excites you.
Join the Board
We’re looking for thoughtful, dedicated people to join the Board. This opportunity might be right for you if:
- You want to take on a leadership role in conservation
- You want to learn more about land conservation and environmental education in southeast Indiana
- You want to apply your talents to help Oak Heritage. We’re eager to find folks with a passion for nature, and skills that can help grow our organization and impact. Whether you have a background in strategic thinking/planning, digital marketing, fundraising and crowdfunding, big picture thinking, program development, habitat restoration, education programming, fundraising, or something else, we can help you put your talents to work for conservation.
- You have 6-8 hours per month to dedicate to Oak Heritage, for a minimum of three years
What you will get to do with us:
- Connect with the conservation community. Learn about our preserves, grow your knowledge of conservation challenges and solutions, and get to know fellow Oak Heritage members as you work together.
- Grow your skills and understanding. You will learn as you serve on the Board: about our preserves, about what other land trusts are doing in their communities, about habitat restoration, and more.
- Tackle important conservation work. We need you to help us implement our strategic plan and create our first-ever Strategic Conservation Plan.
- Engage your community in conservation. We’ll help you invite your friends, family, co-workers, and community to come outside and have some fun.
Sign Up to Volunteer
Ready to volunteer? Fantastic.
We’ll follow up with you soon to get you started volunteering for Oak Heritage Conservancy!
Are you an Oak Heritage volunteer?
Thank you for helping make conservation happen in southeast Indiana!