This month’s Nature Journal Guild Time is at Hilltop Farm in West Harrison, Indiana. We will gather to focus on a variety of nature journaling experiences to foster the connection among nature, art, and passions. This guild is for friends of all ages, and backgrounds, regardless of artistic ability, who want to develop their wanderings and wonderings in a communal experience. Through hikes and hands-on skill builders, we will explore the preserves to hone our natural curiosities through artistic and naturalistic skills while expanding or developing our connections with nature. No prior experience to journaling or drawing required.
The spring flowers are blooming now to give us choices for journaling in color. Our skill builder for this month will allow us to further develop our color skills in our journaling. For this technique, you may use colored pencils or watercolor paints. We will provide materials that you may borrow and use for the day. If you want to build your own set of nature journaling tools, below is a list of “the basics” that we can use for our meetings. We will add more tools as our skills develop or as your interest increases.
- Journal or composition book (medium in size) with a stiff cardboard cover and heavier weighted paper
- No. 2 pencil (mechanical is fine), sharpener, and eraser (and a small plastic bag to collect shavings)
- Non-photo blue pencil (Prismacolor “Col-Erase 20028 NP Blue”) with eraser
- Ball-point pen (waterproof and that does not smudge or smear)
- Colored pencils (set of 12 is great); secured with a rubber band or hairband
- Pencil case for your supplies (optional) or small bag for all of your supplies (including the journal)
- Watercolor paints and waterbrush
- Hand lens
- Plastic bags or envelopes for carrying specimens (optional)
Please wear appropriate shoes, hat, and clothing. Bring your own bottle of water and snack to share with others. We will be able to refill our water bottles. Bug spray with DEET will be available as well. We will start at 1:00 pm and end at 3:00 pm. See the link below to locate parking. In the event of inclement weather that creates an environment not conducive for journaling, we will postpone the event to a later date. Feel free to bring a snack to share with others.
For more information: https://oakheritageconservancy.org/2015/09/09/hilltop-farm/
Address: 28797 Stout Rd, West Harrison, IN 47060
Check out next months’ events at www.oakheritageconservancy.org/events. We hope to see you there!